Saturday, January 30, 2010

Patience (Part 4)

This is the four study in a series on patience.

The parable of the unforgiving servant in Matthew 18 is a good illustration of the true meaning of patience as it is used in the Bible.  The king was lenient with his servant, but the servant was not lenient with his fellow.  This text uses the verb form makrothymeo of the word makrothymia used in Galatians 5:22.


Mat 18:21 ESV - Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" 22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience (μακροθυμησονmakrothymeson – G3114) with me, and I will pay you everything.' 27 And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, 'Pay what you owe.' 29 So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience (ΜακροθυμησονMakrothymeson – G3114) with me, and I will pay you.' 30 He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. 32 Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 'And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' 34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."


We see Paul using the adverb form makrothymos with King Agrippa— he is seeking to be judged with a tolerant spirit.

Act 26:1 ESV - So Agrippa said to Paul, "You have permission to speak for yourself." Then Paul stretched out his hand and made his defense: 2 "I consider myself fortunate that it is before you, King Agrippa, I am going to make my defense today against all the accusations of the Jews, 3 especially because you are familiar with all the customs and controversies of the Jews. Therefore I beg you to listen to me patiently (μακροθυμωςmakrothymos – G3116).


The well known text on love in 1 Corinthians describes the true spirit of patience (makrothymia)— it endures offences, bears wrongdoing without irritation or resentment.  It is the spirit that Jesus talked about in Matthew 18; it is willingness to forgive— slowness to punish.


1Cr 13:4 ESV - Love is patient (μακροθυμειmakrothymei – G3114) and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

No comments:

Post a Comment